Whereas the Kogi State Government:
1. respects the rights of all citizens to responsible association and agitations within the norms of a democratic society.
2. is working to resolve all issues relating to adequacy and frequency of remuneration for all categories of Civil Servants in the State.
3. Understands the rights of labour unions in relation to the responsibilities of the owners/proprietors of tertiary academic institutions.
The Kogi State Government notes with dismay that:
1. the industrial action embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Kogi State University, Anyigba (ASUU, KSU) is now going into its 7th month.
2. Government, by a combination of appeasement and resistance has endeavored without success to bring ASUU, KSU to a middle ground.
3. Government, by her own conservative estimates and in the interest of all stakeholders, most importantly the students, has met at least 90% of ASUU, KSU’s many demands, especially the students.
4. that ASUU, KSU has refused to recognize industrial relations as ‘work in progress’ and insists on continuing her strike indefinitely.
5. In defiance of empathy and amicable settlement, and in further confirmation of their resolve not to return to work any time soon, the Chairman (Acting) of ASUU, KSU publicly declared that no matter the extent to which Government makes efforts to meet their demands, strikes can and will be called at any time, even at the behest of external actors.
6. the effect of the strike on all students of KSU is increasingly dire in the extreme.
The Kogi State Government is now forced to conclude that:
1. ASUU, KSU’s insistence on continuing her strike action even though Government has paid her members’ salaries, earned allowances and other benefits up-to-date (June, 2017) is both unreasonable and unacceptable.
2. ASUU, KSU and her members, for no justifiable cause, have deliberately persisted in the breach of their responsibilities as employees of the Kogi State Government working in an institution founded to provide essential services, to wit, education.
3. ASUU, KSU’s activities related to their strike of about 7 months have obstructed and disrupted the provision of essential services, to wit, education thereby occasioning psychological trauma and irrecoverable loss to those intended lawful recipients of same.
ACCORDINGLY, THE KOGI STATE GOVERNMENT HEREBY MAKES PROCLAMATION AND DECLARES ALL ACTIVITIES OF THE ACADEMIC STAFF UNION OF UNIVERSITIES (ASUU) IN KOGI STATE UNIVERSITY, ANYIGBA PROSCRIBED EFFECTIVE THIS 19TH DAY OF JULY, 2017.
Consequently, the Governing Council of the Kogi State University, Anyigba, the Management of the Institution and the Kogi State Ministry of Education are hereby directed to:
1. Deem all academic staff of the Institution who do not resume their normal academic activities immediately as having resigned from the employment of the Kogi State Government and the University, and to treat them accordingly.
2. Take steps to immediately find and engage suitable replacements for all crucial staff vacancies, including those who have left, may wish to leave or who are deemed to have left the service of the Kogi State Government and the University pursuant upon this Proclamation.
3. Start the process of employing all categories of academic staff required by the Institution based on need assessment.
All law enforcement and security agencies in Kogi State are hereby directed to remain vigilant as usual and be proactive in preventing any breakdown of law and order in any part of Kogi State, whether consequent on this proclamation, or for any reason whatsoever.
Government tenders an apology to all students of Kogi State University and their parents for every inconvenience occasioned by the protracted strike action by ASUU, KSU while commending their resilience and patience through it all.
Government commits to students of Kogi State University, Anyigba and their parents/guardians to ensure uninterrupted academic calendar henceforth, as enjoyed by other tertiary institutions which have earlier proscribed ASUU or otherwise disallowed its operation on their campus.
Government states her intention to meet her duties and obligations to all her tertiary institutions and every law abiding staff promptly.
Made this 19th day of July, 2017.
EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR, KOGI STATE